Tuesday evening summer sewing class
The Tuesday evening summer sewing class is one of our budget ranges of weekly classes, tailored to students’ personal requirements. We host weekly classes for people of all abilities. These mixed ability classes are run in blocks of weekly sessions from our brand new custom built studio in Farington! We generally fall in line with half term holiday breaks locally.
Course start date 21July 2020
Just one place left!
- Category: Weekly Classes
- Level: newbie to more experienced
- Course Duration: 5 weeks
- Cost: £150.00
- Class duration: 6.30pm- 9-15 pm
- Tuesday evening
Pricing Structure and Session Times
- £30.00 per session
- 5 x 3 hourly sessions £150.00
- Tuesday evening sewing class 6.30pm- 9-15 pm
- Class maximum of six students
Covid 19 Safety Measures
- Sewing machines and equipment will have been sanitised as you enter.
- As it won’t be possible to keep the two metre social distance rule in a class room setting, you will be provided with a ‘Splashguard safety visor’ for use during your session. There will be a maximum of six students in a class.
- Hand washing facilities, disposable gloves and cleansing wipes will be available.
- You will be asked to provide your own drinks and utensils.
- You will also be asked to bring what equipment you have such as scissors, pins etc. to minimise the sharing of equipment.
- Anything you do use must be sanitised before putting away.
- At the end of your session, you will be asked to wipe down the machine, desk and ‘Splashguard safety visor’ before leaving.
What you will learn
Beginners are encouraged to start with a simple project such as a tote style shopping bag before moving onto a simple garment, although Janet is happy to discuss personal projects with each student and advise on this. Students are able to work on a project of their choice and at their own pace and will therefore require a pattern and fabric in line with that.
In fashion garments, the emphasis is focused on fit and finish; therefore a test garment (toile) is made in calico to perfect the fit, before constructing in fashion fabric.
If your preference is to make cushions, curtains and other soft furnishing or craft projects, Janet will discuss this and the needed requirements with you.
What you will need
No need to bring, or even own a sewing machine as quality Janome DKS30 modern sewing machines are provided. Most new students are unsure of what machine to buy so trying out a class machine first is a wise move!
General sewing equipment and haberdashery is available to purchase at the school. Pins, scissors, tape measure, unpick, sewing gauge and thread are generally all that’s needed to start with, in addition to your fabric. Calico is also stocked and advice provided on choice of pattern and size required.
Our venue and facilities
We are ideally situated just minutes from M6, M61 and M65 motorway junctions. Our brand new custom built studio in Farington has excellent spacious ground floor facilities and free car parking. As well as our quality modern Janome sewing machines and overlockers, we have excellent pressing equipment from Philips and raised cutting areas to save your back! Small classes and expert tuition ensure that you will complete your course with confidence.
Weekly class pricing policy
The regular price of a one-day workshop is £80.00. The discounted price of £60.00 a day or £30.00 per half-day session is dependent on students enrolling on a complete block of classes. Missed classes can’t be credited further as they are already heavily subsidised. This helps us to keep classes competitively low.
To book your place on the Tuesday evening sewing class, check quantity, select ‘make booking’ and follow on line instructions. Bank transfer details will be emailed to you.