Tuesday morning class at our Farington studio
It’s so important to be able to read unbiased reviews from students who have attended classes previously. i find it gives confidence to others considering the same or similar courses and we now have the added benefit of working in a super new purpose built studio!
Thank you all for contributing to my success!
Janet Moville, founder of the modern approach sewing school
From: Samina Price
Subject: Make it you own day 17 March 2018
This is my review:
I did the ‘Make it your own day’ and it was fantastic. Janet is an excellent teacher who tailored her tutoring to my individual needs. Communication was timely and clear and her purpose built studio is very well equipped. Thank you
Alison White Friday 12th January 2018
I can highly recommend Janet’s classes. I did a lot of sewing years ago but had lost confidence – Janet is lovely and welcoming and is happy for everyone to work at their own pace. Her knowledge is unsurpassed – I kept having to write down things she said as I knew I’d forget but all her experience has made her so knowledgeable that every sentence contains a gem. Very highly recommended
Joan Haresign Wednesday 17 October 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon with Janet and learned a great deal along the way. I wanted to learn how to adapt a pattern to my measurements and knew that this was quite an advanced technique. However Janet made it look easy and explained every step along the way, passing on useful tips and giving me notes to take home. The teaching is done by easy steps and Janet passes on her considerable knowledge in a totally relaxed way. I came home with my adapted pattern plus a toile ready to sew and have now booked for a set of classes – can’t wait for it to start.
Thank you so much Janet.
Hannah Lambert Monday 23 January 2017
Thanks Janet for helping me complete the padded sewing apron on the
beginners course. I would highly recommend Janet as she talks you
through every step and shares so much knowledge with you. This was my
second lesson with Janet and I can’t wait to book my next!
Sue R. 15 January 2017 (Tuesday and Thursday morning class)
It is a joy to work in Janet’s new, light, airy and well-equipped studio in Farington. I love working in such a friendly, helpful and creative environment and having started as a complete novice, I have completed some wonderful sewing projects with Janet’s patient and expert guidance. Sue R
5* Brenda Roberts 23 Jul 2016
A wonderful experience
I have learned a tremendous amount of sewing know how, from Janet from tracing patterns to cutting out and sewing , blouses, skirts, jackets and coats and altering clothing.I have been attending Janet’s class for 9 years from beginner to being more creative and enjoying every minute of it, I meet new friends young and old and we swap ideas . Janet is a ‘Gem’ her patience and commitment to showing us how to succeed in whatever we are making from, soft furnishings to wedding dresses, children’s clothes to men’s wear. You will love it – so why not come and join us! You’ll have a great time and we would love to meet you. Brenda Roberts
Mum and me summer workshop reviews August 2016
Tracy says: My daughter and I have just completed our 3rd week of the mum and daughter sewing course. I can highly recommend the course, we were made to feel at ease straight away by the warm and friendly atmosphere.
Neither of us had ever been on a sewing machine before and the method of teaching was excellent. We were shown step by step and able to work at our own pace, without pressure. Each week we have completed a task, including a pot holder, zipped pouch and tote bag, all of which are fantastic.
It’s a wonderful way to spend quality time together, but also has the benefits of learning a new skill and enjoying yourself at the same time. Thank you Janet 😘
Sent from my iPhone
Gillian wrote: Hello Janet,
Thank you, we both had a wonderful day today with you. Jenna added your details to her Facebook page to say what we were doing with great reaction and she has been showing everyone her sewing this afternoon. We are spreading the word of your lovely classes. We would very much like to book on another. Did you say Monday afternoon was an option ? Thank you for confirming if you have space on Monday, and the times. Once again thank you so much, we had a great morning and love the time with you, and the result.
Kind regards, Gillian and Jenna
JanetW- 3802 Jul 2016
review for Janet Movilles sewing class 5 stars
I was always able to sew and do dress making but Janet taught me how to draft patterns and pattern fitting. She taught me how to make clothes that look like they have been bought from a shop and since then I have carried on making dresses jackets skirts and tops. I have make bridesmaid dresses and clothes for other people. She teaches in a professional manner but is approachable and friendly at the same time. Janet Wilson
02 Jul 2016
Fantastic Teacher and great premises 5 stars
I have attended a number of Janet’s classes and also done some 1 on 1 coaching. I have enjoyed all my time immensely and this is to do with Janet’s passion and teaching ability.
I would not hesitate to recommend her , no doubt I will be return to her class shortly. The venue she operates from is well organised, bright and well equipped and plenty of parking.
Extremely helpful and professional tuition 5 stars
Although I’ve sewn and made clothes all my adult life, I started classes with Janet many years ago to improve. She’s amazing! Very professional yet relaxed and approachable. Nothing fazes her and she provides excellent tuition. Would unreservedly recommend to all, from beginners to advanced.
Along with my niece Pollyanna I have thoroughly enjoyed the shared lessons with Janet. We started off with Pollyanna as pupil, and due to a health concern I attended the lesson too. Within minutes of being in our first lesson I realised this level of expertise could make my love of sewing more enjoyable too. From lesson two (the following week) I was there as a paid participating student too. A huge THANKS to Janet, for easy to follow, structured lessons, anything from mastering your own sewing machine, to altering patterns for the right fit, to make garments & cushion covers is very inspirational and enthusing under Janet’s guidance! 🙂 🙂
Philippa Roddam 27/10/2014
- Just wanted to say a huge thank you for a great day on the beginners sewing course. I didn’t really know what to expect since I am a complete beginner (I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a sewing machine up close and have never used a needle and thread!) but Janet was a brilliant teacher and took me through each step, at my own pace and I ended up making a really useful tote bag. I keep looking at it thinking ‘I can’t believe i made that!’. I am now dropping some big hints for a sewing machine for Christmas and feel very confident about starting some little sewing projects at home. Thanks!
Ginny Porter 25/10/2014
- Hi Janet, just wanted to thank you for today! I had a great time and picked up so many tips! The mystery of the ZIP and the collar has now been solved! Looking forward to the next course!
- 5 stars Amazing
27/08/2014 by tope
I must say I don’t do this a lot, but Janet deserves it. she is such an amazing teacher; very patient and she will
Tope’s first jacket made in a weekly class
take you through all the steps you need. Modern approach sewing school definitely deserves five stars
- 5 stars Great teacher
27/08/2014 by carol234
When I first joined Janet’s class it was as a complete novice, I didn’t even know how to thread a machine. Now with Janet’s clear simple instructions, guidance and patience, I have made several pairs of trousers and a couple of lovely dresses that fit perfectly and I love wearing. I cannot recommend her classes highly enough.
- 5 stars Very enjoyable, expert tuition
28/08/2014 by SarahCho
I have been attending Janet’s classes for a few months now and really enjoy them. I had never done dressmaking before and have so much to learn, but Janet knows everything there is to know about all aspects of sewing and is a great teacher – very friendly, patient and encouraging. The equipment available for use at the school is extensive and all of excellent quality. I would highly recommend any of Janet’s courses to anyone with a keen interest in sewing, whether a beginner or otherwise. Janet’s classes suit all abilities.
29/08/2014 by Ruth Wright
- 5 stars Definitely a 5 Star course!
I have enjoyed this last year so much, Janet is a really skilled encouraging teacher and the classes are great fun. I have learned so much and gained so much confidence. The facilities are excellent and straight forward to use. I can’t recommend the classes highly enough. Thank you Janet!
5 stars Ann Grainger 16/04/2014
- I went for a three day personal tuition just fantastic, this is a must if you need a perfect garment, will be booking again, Well worth it, thanks to Janet I have now improved and am able to undertake things I could only have dreamed about.
5 stars Click fabric 06/05/2014
Great sewing teacher! Great expertise in dress making! Classes are a pleasure to follow! Recommend to anyone who wants to take on sewing!
5 stars Vivienne Henderson
- I’ve learned to sew a variety of fabrics, use an overlocker, tailor a jacket, make trousers amongst other garments. Janet has helped me to make them fit perfectly by altering the commercial patterns I buy. I would never have done any of this without Janet’s help. She is so patient and enthusiastic and can even sort out a mistake into a design feature!
5 stars Deirdre Moyle
Janet’s classes. Such an easy relaxed atmosphere to work in. Her expertise has helped me to alter bought garments to a personal fit, adapt commercial patterns and draft my own patterns as well. I thought Janet was the best sewing tutor I had come across 20 years ago and I haven’t changed my mind since.
5 stars Sue Twigg Harrison
Learning how to alter patterns from Janet is great – trousers that actually fit me. I’ve gone from knowing only how to sew straight lines to making a wardrobe from work. It’s the best feeling when you get a compliment about something you made. Janet explains the best way to be economic with layouts on fabric and simplifies written pattern instructions. A fabulous class with lovely classmates.
5 stars Margaret Lowis
I have learnt so much at the school, from becoming very familiar with an overlocker to making clothes I am proud to wear. Janet has a natural flair to teaching us, everything is made to appear very simple and easy.
- 5 stars Susan White
- Janet’s classes are amazing. I have been sewing since l was a child & lost confidence sewing for myself as my shape had changed so much. The items l did make looked ‘homemade’ & consequently l was totally discouraged. Janet’s classes have changed that despondency as her teaching skills, knowledge & experience l have never come across before in my sewing ‘life’. She has mentored me through adjusting patterns to suite my own shape, shown me how to use different sewing methods for creating garments, how to create a professional finish & took the fear out of fabrics l would never have attempted to use previously. She has revolutionised that ‘despondency’ l felt & l look forward to the classes each week as she is so helpful & friendly. All of you men & women who have been inspired to pick a needle & thread again by watching the ‘sewing bee’ (or even if you are a beginner) Janet’s school is the place for you as l cannot recommend it highly enough (& no l am not a relative just a very grateful student)
Many thanks to all who have taken the time to write reviews. it’s greatly appreciated to see that my contribution makes such a difference. Seeing students progress in skills and confidence is very rewarding and is one of the reasons I set up the school in 1995, twenty one years ago. It’s also very encouraging for students considering joining a class.
Janet Moville, founder of the Modern Approach Sewing School
many thanks, Janet Moville