Basic Overlocking techniques
Frustrated with your overlocker? Terrified of the threads breaking as that means having to re-thread, something that throws you into a hot sweat? Then this course is for you!
Skill Level: Basic
Course Duration: 1 Day
Covid 19 Safety Measures
- Sewing machines and equipment will have been sanitised as you enter.
- As it won’t be possible to keep the two metre social distance rule in a class room setting, you will be provided with a ‘Splashguard safety visor’ for use during your session. There will be a maximum of six students in a class.
- Hand washing facilities, disposable gloves and cleansing wipes will be available.
- You will be asked to provide your own drinks and utensils as well as your packed lunch.
- You will also be asked to bring what equipment you have such as scissors, pins etc. to minimise the sharing of equipment.
- Anything you do use must be sanitised before putting away.
- At the end of your session, you will be asked to wipe down the machine, desk and ‘Splashguard safety visor’ before leaving.
- Lunch will be taken in the garden, weather permitting or spaced out in the studio, otherwise.
What you will learn
You will learn how to master threading and tension difficulties with confidence; how to work with both woven and stretch fabrics, as well as mastering corners and curves.
Standard overlock, roll hems, narrow hems, picot edging will all be covered as well as practical assembly techniques including elastic insertion and gathering.
A course not to be missed! Fee £90.00 including materials.
Designed especially for those new to overlocking, dealing specifically with the problem areas of frustration-free threading, mastering tensions and featuring practical applications.
Topics covered include:
- time-saving construction techniques
- neckline facings
- “speedy” collar and cuff methods
- applying elastic
- even zip applications!
This workshop is an ideal way to gain confidence before progressing to the garment assembly course.
Please ensure that your overlocker is in good working order and that you are familiar with the basic operating instructions, as the course is quite intensive and there is insufficient time to deal with mechanical problems.
You will need your manual, tweezers and roll hem attachments, if applicable. All materials and threads are included in the price.
To book your place, choose ‘make booking’ and payment details will be emailed to you