Overlocker Garment Construction
This workshop is an ideal compliment to Basic Overlocking focusing on garment construction using stretch fabrics. You would need to complete the basic overlocking course prior to this in order to get the most out of the day.
Covid 19 Safety Measures
- Sewing machines and equipment will have been sanitised as you enter.
- As it won’t be possible to keep the two metre social distance rule in a class room setting, you will be provided with a ‘Splashguard safety visor’ for use during your session. There will be a maximum of six students in a class.
- Hand washing facilities, disposable gloves and cleansing wipes will be available.
- You will be asked to provide your own drinks and utensils as well as your packed lunch.
- You will also be asked to bring what equipment you have such as scissors, pins etc. to minimise the sharing of equipment.
- Anything you do use must be sanitised before putting away.
- At the end of your session, you will be asked to wipe down the machine, desk and ‘Splashguard safety visor’ before leaving.
- Lunch will be taken in the garden, weather permitting or spaced out in the studio, otherwise.
What you will learn
You will learn how to stabilise seams and how to adjust the differential feed for differing degrees of stretch in fabric.
You will be given step by step instruction to show you how to construct and insert neck bands, welts and cuffs to garments.
Setting in sleeves the professional way, without puckers is also on the menu, using the flat insertion method.
You will learn how to assemble a child size sleeved top.
The afternoon session will focus on assembling a pair of joggers. You will learn the correct order of assembly to avoid unnecessary complications. Also how to stabilise pocket areas prior to side pocket application.
You’ll learn the quarter marking technique in preparation for attaching elastic to the waistband, along with the actual application of the elastic to ensure even distribution. All fabrics supplied.
Our venue and facilities
We are ideally situated just minutes from M6, M61 and M65 motorway junctions. Our brand new custom built studio in Farington has excellent spacious ground floor facilities and free car parking. As well as our quality modern Janome sewing machines and overlockers, we have excellent pressing equipment from Philips and raised cutting areas to save your back! It’s recommended that you bring your own overlocker, if you already own one, to become familiar with its use. Small classes and expert tuition ensure that you will complete your course with confidence.